Saturday, January 9, 2021

hallowed halls

i walked up and down
stone steps

the sound of my feet echoed
in halls where the forefathers faltered

i lingered behind

smelling the antique odor of faded paint
varnished wood
and leather bound books 

their thoughts waving on each page

i was intimidated by my surroundings
thinking that if i made one false step

one suspicious sound

i would be out of there
quick as a wink
and put in solitary confinement

living out my years thinking
about the wrong i'd done
to my country

just for a sneeze

and yet
for every fear i felt
my heart gave gratitude
for even being there

a half mexican twice removed
sharing in the awe of history

on every wall
on every ceiling
at every step

with every memory
that chose to be

(free)





2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thank you. i loved being able to go inside. the picture is mine, and i'm glad to have a memory of it.

      Delete