Tuesday, November 26, 2013

thankful

i could be corny
and say
i was thankful for you
on this day

but the stuffing
is getting stale
and the corn
is getting mushy

and the cranberry sauce
still needs to be
smacked
out of the can
.
hardly any time at all
to say
what you mean to me
without the cliches

you know how i feel
anyway

so let me kiss
the last bit
of whipped cream
from your lips

whisper a quick
i love you
in the pumpkin filled air
around us

and look into
the eyes
that have opened
my heart
to better things

did we wait
for each other
for so long?

it hardly seems
like a day

(grow)

.


2 comments:

  1. The simple beauty of this poem is amazing. In fact, I'd say it's the most beautiful piece I've read in quite a long while :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! that's very kind of you to say... i really liked writing it.

    ReplyDelete